Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fall Poem by Makayla

I know it's fall when I see the green leaves change to red, orange, yellow, and brown as they fall to the ground, when I see the trees blowing into each other like dominoes, when I see the freshly carved pumpkins on our doorstep, and when I see my dad putting a fresh coat of stain on our front steps.

I know it's fall when I hear the geese honking and the ducks quacking as they fly south, when I hear the loud swifts of wind blow outside my window, when I hear the bangs and clanks as my mother hauls the turkey out of the oven, and when I hear the lawn mower being started up for the very last time this year.

I know it's fall when I smell fresh banana cream and pumpkin pie being baked, when I smell the fresh cut grass for the very last time this year, and when I smell the funky smell of fallen leaves.

I know it's fall when I taste the moist flavor of banana cream and pumpkin pie, when I taste the flavor of fresh, juicy turkey, when I taste the flavor of plump, moist mashed potatoes, and when I taste the spicy apple cider.

I know it's fall when I feel my warm, winter coat around my arms, when I feel the toasty fire against my hands and face, when I feel the crunch of leaves beneath my feet, and when I feel the battering winds against my hands and face.

No comments: